Strata Legislation Regarding End of Life Cycle

What happens when a strata building is at the end of its life cycle, or owners want to sell the building for redevelopment? Currently, all eligible voters must approve.

Did you know that the strata property legislation in BC dates back to 1966? Currently about 20% of British Columbians - about one million people = live in some form of a strata property?

The BC Government are updating this legislantion, proposing to lower the threshold to 80%.

If a strata corporation has more than five lots, then court confirmation will be required, thereby helping to protect the rights of dissenting owners. 

The BC Law Institute is reviewing the following areas of strata property law:

  • fundamental changes to a strata - including winding up
  • leasehold stratas
  • common property
  • complex - mixed use - stratas
  • selected insurance issues - competing interests and options
  • selected governance issues - including protection of minority interests and the accountability of strata councils
  • selected land-title issues
I will have further updates once the above Amendments have been passed.
No comments

Post Your Comment:

* indicates required fields.
Your Name: *
Please note, your email will not be shown publicly
Your Email (will not be published): *
Comment: *
Please type the text as it appears above:
Posts By Date
The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.