In April 2014 the BC government approved changes to the Strata Property Act, which include the following:
1. Section 35 is amended to clarfy that storage locker allocations are required records and that strata corporations must prepare a list of the storage locker numbers, indentifying their ownership by, or designation to, a strata lot.. This info must now be disclosed on a Form B, which is a document a buyer will receive when reviewing the strata docs and purcahsing a condo.
2. Section 89 - is amended to allow the purchaser/owner to whom title to a strata lot is conveyed by the owner developer to apply for an order for removal of a claim of lien.
3. Section 92 - is amended to allow that strata councils are allowed to pay for depreciation reports out of the operating fund of a strata corp.
4. Section 109 - is amended to clarify who is responsible for paying a special levy when the levy is payable in more than one instalment and the strata lot changes hands.
5. Section 96 - is amended to require a majority vote, rather than the previously required 3/4 majority, for certain expenditures from the contingency reserve fund. These include paying for a depreciation report or for repairs or maintenance to common property recommended in the most recent depreciation report. Other expenditures from the contingency fund would continue to require a 3/4 majority vote.