How Does a Vancouver Condo Building Pay for Repairs

A question I often get asked by buyer clients is how do Vancouver condo buildings assess the owners for repairs. If you purchase a condo in a new building it will be covered by a 2/5/10 year warranty. Prior to the expiry of the warranty the Strata Council will order an engineer's report and send the findings to the Developer to be addressed. After 10 years you're on your own.

What is the Contingency Reserve Fund?
Part of your due diligence when purchasing is to review the financial statements which show the reserve fund. The law now requires stratas to save 10% of their annual budget in the contingency reserve fund. This fund is used for future upgrades and repairs to the building.

How are Upgrades Paid For?
At the annual general meeting there will be a vote to do the repair and how to fund it.. There are a number of ways to pay for repairs. Either by raising the maintenance fees beforehand, or by a special assessment, or a combination of both. Often if a major repair is looming the strata building's property manager will suggest an increase in fees or quarterly payments ahead of time.

Put my hyper-local Vancouver condo knowledge to work for you!

No comments

Post Your Comment:

* indicates required fields.
Your Name: *
Please note, your email will not be shown publicly
Your Email (will not be published): *
Comment: *
Please type the text as it appears above:
Posts By Date
The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.